Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Late hello from down-town ATL!!!

Hey y'all,

How's everyone doing today? Sorry this is late... we ended up going to the temple today and we had to switch our P-day to make that work. It was awesome!!! If you're able to go to the temple and haven't been lately... stop it and go!!! Such an amazing place. Even if you just walk around the grounds... it will help you feel better. I promise.

So... where to start today????? So many things happen down here its hard to remember everything...

So I went on exchanges yesterday with one of the District Leaders... it was great... only problem is that he's a spanish speaking missionary. I didn't understand 85% of what he or the people were saying.... but something I could understand and still feel was the spirit.... it was really neat to go through the whole night and have to fully rely on the spirit. I was able to follow what they were talking about simply by how things felt. We met with an amazing family and ended up teaching them the first lesson... I didn't say much but I was able to stumble through reading a scripture in spanish (with a little help from my spanish speaking companion) and I bore my testimony at the very end (mingled with the little spanish that I picked up). I wasn't able to say much and I don't know how well they understood me... but I know that the spirit was there... and I'll say this much: having the spirit in your life (not just as a missionary) is SO important. Its so easy to get caught up in the whirlwind of life that we get so busy and distracted that we lose that feeling... that guiding influence... and we so easily forget how amazing it feels to have that feeling with you at all times. Do everything you can to have that feeling with yuo at all times... do those small and simple things!

Elder Munn's of the 70 spoke at our stake conference... we were also able to go to a priesthood leadership training that he spoke at... some highlights: trials in life are a blessing. Just like a violin string, our souls and selves need to be stretched before we're able to produce beautiful music. This was actually something that's been springing up around our zone and in my personal life out here as a missionary... trials are a good thing!! That's hard to tell someone who just found out that they have a hernia and that they're going to be bed ridden for the next month or so... or to someone who just came in from a temple square mission and is being placed as a trainer and white-washing into an area in down-town ATL... etc., etc.... but its so true. When we're stretched, when we're pushed to a limit that makes us change and grow... as long as we have faith and turn to Him for our help.... we don't just change into something different, we take one step closer to reaching our divine potential as sons and daughters of God.

Another experience... we recieved an HQ referral (someone requested an item from mormon.org and wants it delievered) to a place here down-town... we go down there and it turns out to be an extended stay hotel (pretty much a homeless shelter but far.... worse). The man we went in and saw was a man that we had bought a Subway sandwhich for a few days earlier.... long story short, when we went to leave and I pulled on the doorknob, the doorknob came off. That's a good thing cause the door stayed on its hinges and we were able to leave without getting mugged or shot haha (sorry Mom, don't stress, we have God with us). It was that kind of place... but it made me stop and think about just how blessed we are in life. Be quick to give thanks to the Lord and be quick to count yuor blessings... I can promise you that things can be FAR WORSE... we're so blessed in our lives. Especially because of the knowledge we have of the restored gospel... which brings me to my next point: share the gospel!!! So many people out there need the gospel in their lives and so many people are looking for it... we literally spent 30 minutes on one street corner talking, praying, teaching, etc. and we met a good 10 people in that time that were looking to come closer to Christ... they're out there. People are starting to take notice on how crazy the world is getting... don't be afraid to open your mouth and share the gospel with someone: you literally could be their angel, their answer to a much needed prayer... you could be the vessel that the Lord works through to bring them back to Him.

One last note: We're all brothers and sisters. ALL of us. Love everyone. Pray for the ability to love, serve and have charity towards everyone. People need love in their lives. Everyone does. And if you already have some in your life.... share it! Tell someone today that you love them and that God loves them and that Jesus Christ loves them and that I love them. With everyone you talk to... always try to build them up and help them feel loved.

Sorry this was a crazy letter with lots of stuff... I'll try and have a more focused one next time. I love you. Every last one of you. I'd invite all y'all to keep praying and then pray some more. Prayer is so powerful. Keep following the Savior. Keep having faith. Keep loving everyone. I love you.

-Elder Wahlen

No comments:

Post a Comment