Friday, December 13, 2013

Email from Georgia

Hi this is Tracy,
     This week I received a most wonderful email from the first woman that Elder Wahlen had baptized
I would like to share a portion of that letter with you. Her name is Leia.

We have become very special friends.


" A few weeks ago I met Elder Jake.  He was with Elder Wahlen at the MTC when they first started

their mission.

We instantly liked Elder jake when we met him.  He is humble, extremely tall, funny, articulate and full

of warmth and compassion.  There is an deep, underlying appreciation and gratitude I can't quite put my finger on, that he seems to have that some lack.  he reminds me a lot of Elder Wahlen, in spirit and manner.

I don't think he knew elder Wahlen was serving in this mission.  When I started talking about Elder Wahlen, I asked, "He is a Zone leader. Don't you know him?"


He got this look on his face when I asked and when he put it together that elder Wahlen was

"OUR Missionary", the words just started pouring out.  The emotion flowing from this young man,
knowing now that we knew him, was amazing...but then again, that is the kind of thing we have grown to expect from people who have met Elder wahlen.  He does that you know... Elder Wahlen evokes a
kind of respect and honor from those around him, which is not his intent, but a side effect of how he
loves everyone around him.

So this is what elder Jake told us.


He said that Elder Wahlen was a leader when he met him.  Elder Jake was having some issues with the

companion he had and Elder Wahlen had Elder Jake come with him for a day.  Elder Jake could not
stop telling us how much Elder Wahlen had helped him.  I am unsure of all that was said during that day, but whatever it was, it was powerful.  Out of curiosity, I asked him about elder Wahlen's eyes... that is what always got me about him.  And I wanted to know if he saw it too.  A look of surprise and understanding followed as Elder Jake began to talk.  He said, "I know!!! I know what you mean! I
can't believe you saw it too!  When he looks at you, its like he can feel your pain, there is so much
compassion.  It's unbelievable. I  totally know what you mean by his eyes."

Elder Jake said that Elder wahlen had this way of looking into your soul, loving you exactly where you

were, and then pulling out the best in you.  he could stir in you the ability to believe that you could do
that which you thought was impossible.  How awesome is that?!!!

All I can say Tracy, is that your boy is doing amazing! I know your husband and kristi would be so proud.  I wish i could explain how much and how freely he loves everyone.  My plain words do the

action no justice, but these words will have to do for now!

Elder Wahlen is so passionate and full of the spirit.  I know he has grown so much since he met us, and to hear that he is a leader is great.  But to hear of what kind of a leader he has become is just the best. Some of the things we hear from other missionaries and investigators are the following:


He leads by example.  He is humble and never boasts.  He gives glory to god for all his

accomplishments and successes.  He raises the bar for all that know him, and he expects others to meet that bar, and not lower it.  Elder Wahlen is funny.  He's got "mad skills" on the basketball court according to one investigator.  He follows the commandments.  He is a great visual teacher.  he can paint pictures with his words... so much so, even little kids understand!  And above all, he loves the Lord and it shows in his compassion and never ending generosity and kindness towards others.

Love,  Leia


As we will never hear something like this from my son i thought I would like to share it with all of you that are supporting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment